About Planning and Development
Planning and Development is one of five divisions within the Community Services Department.
- Administration and oversight of the Board of Adjustment, Design Review Committee, Parcel Map Review Committee, and Planning Commission.
- Analysis and processing of development applications, to include selected building permits and business licenses.
- Maintenance of the Washoe County Master Plan.
- Maintenance of Washoe County Code Chapters 25, 30, and 110.
- Administrative support to licensing operations (business, gaming and liquor).
- Zoning and license (business, gaming and liquor) code compliance.
- GIS/Permits support (database management and analysis).
- Programs to enhance attainable regional housing.
- Initiatives to streamline the discretionary permitting processes.
- Managing the department's budget process.
- Procedures to improve communication within the department.
- Administration of the department's internet presence.
- Department front counter services.
- Initiatives to enhance staff capabilities.
Our mission is to fulfill the community vision by guiding the creation and maintenance of livable neighborhoods and supporting the economic viability of the region through promoting sustainable development, providing quality customer service, and implementing land use regulations in a fair and consistent manner.
Our core values are:
- Acting impartially, consistently and with equality.
- Being forthright.
- Exhibiting mutual respect.
- Including affected citizens.
- Sustaining highly-skilled, professional and dedicated employees.
Our staff is committed to continuous improvement and is "Dedicated to Excellence in Public Service."
We focus on continuous improvement in four areas:
- Customer Service
- Standards and Codes
- Sustainable Development
Strategic Plan and Goals
The five-year strategic plan outlines the following 10 strategic goals:
- Implementing a communication plan that increases the public's knowledge and understanding of departmental functions and responsibilities.
- Enhance staff capabilities and functions to better serve the public.
- Create a more effective Master Plan.
- Streamline permit review and enhance effective enforcement.
- Update and maintain the Development Code to be responsive and adaptive.
- Enforce codes and processes in a fair and consistent manner.
- Create a comprehensive approach to the use of renewable and reusable resources; and the preservation of open space and natural resources.
- Enable the provision of attainable housing for all income groups.
- Support regional economic development.
- Continue to provide mandated public services with on-going high quality customer care.