Even our weeds are gorgeous!
Even our weeds are gorgeous!
County Home => Public Defender => Juvenile and Youth Justice => How a Juvenile Case Starts


A juvenile case may start with any of the following:


  • An arrest means you are taken into custody by the police and brought to the Jan Evans Juvenile Detention Center (detention facility for kids).
  • If you are arrested, the police or Juvenile Services employee will call one of your parents (or your guardian) and tell them where you are.


  • The police issue you a citation (small piece of paper that states your potential charges and you have to sign it) and contact your parents.
  • If the police issue a citation, they do not take you to a detention facility.  Most often they will take you home or call your parents to come get you. A citation is also considered a referral to the Juvenile Services Department.


Police Questioning

  • Never run from the police.
  • You must tell a police officer your name and address. You do not have to tell them anything else.
  • Do not argue with the police. Anything you say to them will be used against you.
  • Keep your hands where the police can see them.
  • Do not talk to the police about the incident.
  • Ask for a lawyer immediately, and do not waive any of your legal rights.