What is a Public Health Emergency?
Anytime our community's public health or medical resources are overwhelmed the event may qualify as a public health emergency.
- May occur naturally (e.g., outbreak of meningitis in college dorm, pandemic flu)
- Could be caused by bioterrorism (e.g., anthrax letters)
Mass Casualty Incident (large number of illnesses or injuries)
- Could be the result of an accidental or natural disaster (e.g., earthquake, wildfire)
- Caused by terrorism (e.g., September 11th plane crashes & London terrorist bombings, Tokyo Sarin nerve gas release)
- Biological threats (e.g., Anthrax, Smallpox)