Trees bloom outside the County`s Administrative Complex on 9th Street
Trees bloom outside the County`s Administrative Complex on 9th Street
County Home => Human Resources => Benefits => Washoe County Retirees => Benefits FAQs - Retiree

Retiree FAQs

  stethoscope  Retiree FAQs 


The County provides $20,000 of life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance for all benefited-employees, as well as a $1,000 benefit for those beneficiaries who are covered under your health insurance plan. You will retain this benefit as a retiree for as long as you are covered under the County’s Retiree Health Benefit Program. However, the benefit does drop to $13,000 at age 65, and once again to $7,000 at age 70.
The County provides $1,000 of life insurance for dependents who are carried on the participant’s health insurance plan. In the event a dependent dies while on the participant’s insurance, the participant would receive $1,000 in life insurance.
You can name anyone as your beneficiary, regardless of your relationship. However, if you name a minor, the life insurance company will typically place the benefit in a Trust until that minor turns 18 years of age.
Yes. You may name as many primary beneficiaries as you want, as long as you indicate the desired percentage of distribution. For example, if you name two children, you may want to show that each of them is entitled to 50% of the benefit. You may also list contingent beneficiaries as well.
Your contingent beneficiary comes into play only in the event that the primary beneficiary has predeceased them.
No, not unless they are eligible to enroll onto the retiree insurance. In that case, they would have the $1,000 life insurance benefit for as long as they remain on the plan.
You will still need to complete a new Retiree Health Benefits Program Application form to enroll in the County’s Retiree Health Benefits Program. If you do not submit a new application, the assumption will be made that you do not wish to continue your health insurance through Washoe County and your insurance will terminate as of your last day of employment.
Although dental insurance is an optional coverage and not part of your Retiree Health Benefit, you may purchase this coverage for yourself and your dependents at your cost. The monthly premiums are posted on the Human Resources website and are updated annually.
If you do not wish to make any changes to your insurance plan during the annual Open Enrollment period, you do not need to complete a new form.
Yes. Retirement is considered a qualifying life event so you are able to change health plans at this time. You may also change plans during any Open Enrollment period (mid-May to mid-June for a July 1 effective date).
You will receive your pension check through PERS at the end of each month, and premiums are deducted one month in advance. So the deduction coming out of January’s PERS check is for February’s premium; February’s deduction pays for March’s premium, etc. When you first retire, you will be responsible for submitting your portion of the first month’s insurance premium to Human Resources along with the completed Retiree Health Benefits application. The exact amounts (which are sometimes pro-rated) will be calculated for you by our Benefits Specialist.
If you are starting your new life as a retiree outside of Washoe County, you will qualify only for the self-funded PPO plan since the HMO network consists of local providers only. Please update your contact information with Health Benefits any time you change your address, and remember that if you move out of the local area in the future, it may be necessary to change your choice of health plans.
You may add or delete a dependent at this time since the Retiree Plans are not subject to the Section 125 Internal Revenue Code restrictions (premiums are now post-tax).
You must complete a new enrollment form in its entirety, as it replaces all previous forms, and return it to Human Resources along with any applicable documentation.

Under the new Health Care Reform Bill, you may cover your child/children to age 26. They do not have to be a full-time student, living with you, and/or dependent upon your financial support.

If you are adding a domestic partner, you must do so within 31 days of filing the declaration of domestic partnership, or during the annual Open Enrollment period.

Please see the “Quick Reference Sheet” (link below) for more information on adding or deleting dependents.
Current insurance rates can be found under the Benefits section on the Washoe County Retirees webpage
If you are on the Self-funded PPO, go to Enter your provider’s name and click search. Or you may contact Universal Health Care directly at 775-356-1159.

If you are on the Hometown Health HMO, go to Click on provider directory, choose HMO Plan, enter the provider’s name and click search. Or you may contact Hometown Health Customer Service at 775-982-3232.
If you are on the HMO, you must receive care only from the physicians, hospitals and other health care providers that have contracted to provide services for Hometown Health.

If you are on the Self-funded PPO, you will receive a better rate if you use contracted providers, but you do have flexibility. If you permanently reside more than 50 miles from a PPO provider, you may use the doctor of your choice and it will be covered at the usual and customary allowance.
For a full description of what services meet the definition of preventative and routine medical care, please refer to your plan summary or contact your plan administrator directly:

• Self-funded PPO participants may contact CDS Customer Service at 775-352-6900.

• Hometown Health HMO participants may contact their Customer Service at 775-982-3232.
The GAP Plan was first introduced in FY 10/11 and is available in conjunction with the Hometown Health HMO Plan only. Washoe County pays the cost of the GAP plan for all employees enrolled in the HMO; however, it is an elective coverage for dependents and employees are responsible for those premiums. Provided by American Fidelity, the GAP Plan is designed to reimburse the following out-of-pocket expenses up to:

• $1,000 per inpatient hospital confinement

• $200 for certain outpatient services

• $25 for non-routine doctors visits (limit of $125 per family per year)

For more information about the GAP Plan including rates or how to enroll/delete a dependent, you must contact American Fidelity directly at 775-829-1313. Dependent coverage is not administered through Washoe County Health Benefits.

The HMO Medicare Advantage Plan was added to the Washoe County Retiree Health Benefits Program in FY 10/11. The coverage is provided through Senior Care Plus, and is available only to those retirees and their dependents with both Medicare parts A and B. This plan is a great option for those retirees who are receiving only a partial premium benefit from Washoe County and/or who are covering dependents. Please note that enrollment occurs only on the first of each month.
You may contact the Enrollment Specialist at Senior Care Plus at 775-982-3282.
Yes. By visiting one of the websites below, you can identify which drugs are available on your specific plan, how much they cost, and the applicable co-payment:

• Self-funded PPO: (or call 1-800-638-5796)

• Hometown Health HMO: (or call 775-982-3232)
We strongly encourage all retirees to attend one of the Open Enrollment meetings scheduled each year during the month of May. If for some reason you cannot attend, you may contact our Benefits Specialist, Kristie Harmon, at 775-328-2079 to set up an appointment.
Yes, this benefit is available up to four months after your retirement date. You can contact ACI for assistance at 775-348-1700.
You may have several options available to you in regard to your Deferred Compensation Account. For more information, please contact their local representative, at 855-553-2177.
Separate checks are not issued for pay-offs; you will receive your final check on a normal payday.
Washoe County is a biweekly payer; all checks are taxed biweekly. Please consult your tax advisor for advice.
Yes. You will need to contact the local Mass Mutual Account Representative at 855-553-2177, for the change form which must then be forwarded to Payroll at least ten days prior to your retirement.
Yes, but you will need to contact the applicable company directly and tell them you wish to be billed at home:

• AFLAC 775-322-9393

• American Fidelity 775-829-1313

• Western Insurance 775-826-2333)
You need to notify the Comptroller’s (Payroll) in writing or by e-mail at least ten days prior to your retirement date to insure your requested changes can be made.

Office of the Comptroller, P O Box 11130, Reno NV 89520-0027;
Your retirement checks are issued directly from PERS. Please contact them at 775-687-4200 if you have any questions or concerns about your monthly retirement checks.


Benefits - Quick Reference Sheet


Thank you for visiting the Washoe County HR Website. 

back to top