Autumn brings spectacular color across the Truckee Meadows
Autumn brings spectacular color across the Truckee Meadows

How do I add the name of my child’s legal father to his or her birth certificate?
If there is no father listed on a child’s birth certificate, the name of the legal father can be added by making this request on a Declaration of Paternity form. This form contains detailed information about this process, although the following bullet points emphasize some of the most important items:
  • This procedure applies only to children born in Nevada. For a child born in another state, you need to follow the procedure for that particular state.
  • The Declaration of Paternity outlines the rights and responsibilities of the man signing the form. Be sure that you review and understand this information before signing the form.
  • If you want to change the child’s birth name (for example, change his or her last name to match that of the legal father), you may do so at this time in Section B of the form.
  • Both the mother and the legal father must sign the completed form.
  • If both parties are not willing to sign the form, a court order will have to be obtained and provided to the Nevada State Office of Vital Records.
Please mail the completed and signed form to: Nevada State Office of Vital Records 4150 Technology Way, Suite 104 Carson City, Nevada 89706

Include a check or money order for $40.00 made out to Nevada Vital Records to cover the costs of changing the birth certificate already on file. This fee includes a certified copy of the revised record, which will be mailed to the requester at the address listed on the form. Additional copies are $20.00 each.

If you have questions about this process, please call the Nevada State Office of Vital Records at 775.684.4242. If you need to make a correction to a birth or death record, fill out the Affidavit For Correction of Record form.