For Immediate Release
Reno, Nevada. Jan. 3, 2014. Washoe County Manager John Slaughter announced he has appointed Kevin Schiller, the current Director of Social Services, as the new Assistant County Manager effective Monday, January 6, 2014.
“Kevin Schiller has been with Social Services for more than 17 years and has been the director of that department for the past 5 years,” said Slaughter. “Kevin will also serve as our lead on the Human Services Agency integration to enhance services to the residents of Washoe County. We are very excited he has accepted the position, and we look forward to having his experience and his innovative style in the Manager's Office.”
Slaughter said he will recommend the Board of County Commissioners appoint Ken Retterath, Division Director of Adult Social Services, as Interim Social Services Director to replace Schiller, who will continue to assist the department. The Social Services Department Director is appointed by the County Commission, which will direct the next steps specific to recruitment and appointment for that position.
Slaughter also said he will recommend several other staffing and organizational changes to the Board of County Commissioners for discussion and approval at their regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday, January 14. These include:
- Dave Solaro moving from Acting Director to Director of the Community Services Department.
- Creating a Building and Safety Division in the Community Services Department with Don Jeppson as Division Director.
- Moving the Budget Division of the Finance Department to the Manager's Office.
- Reorganizing the Comptroller's Office as a stand-alone department (eliminating Finance as a department), with Risk Management and Purchasing as divisions of the new Comptroller's Office.
- Eliminating the position of Finance Director and reinstating an additional Assistant County Manager position.
In addition to considering these staff recommendations, the Board is also scheduled to elect a new Chair and Vice-Chair for 2014 at the next meeting on January 14. The Board meets in the Chambers of the County Administration Complex at 1001 E. Ninth Street, Building A in Reno.