For Immediate Release
Editor’s note: Members of the media are also invited to the sneak peek at 11:30 a.m. Friday, May 16 when 90 children from Stead Elementary School have been invited to try out the splash park.
Reno, Nevada. May 15, 2014. Bring the family and celebrate the grand opening of the North Valleys Water Splash Park with free admission Saturday, May 17. The 7,100 square-foot park includes more than 20 different water features and over 60 spray heads.
The North Valleys Regional Park Water Play Splash Pad and Improvements project was identified as the top priority by residents of the community in 2011, and is consistent with the approved North Valleys Regional Park Master Plan. Stantec Consulting was awarded the bid for design and construction administration in April 2012. Stantec utilized Aquatic Design Group as their sub-contractor for the design of the actual water play park.
The Board of County Commissioners approved the park’s final design November 13, 2012 and Pace Construction was awarded the bid for construction of the facility February 12, 2013. The design and construction of the park was supported by $3.2 million in funds from the sale of 280 acre-feet of Sierra Sage Golf Course groundwater rights, and construction of the park began in March 2013.
Fun facts about the new North Valleys Water Splash Park:
- Includes more than 20 different water features and over 60 spray heads.
- It has a local aviation theme with a Rare Bear model resembling the restored F8F 1940s military aircraft that’s a fan favorite at the Reno Air Races.
- The state-of-the-art filtration system recirculates the water so there is minimal loss.
- The splash pad surfacing reduces the risk of slipping, lowers the surface temperature to prevent burnt feet and is low maintenance and long-lasting.
- Includes a concession stand with restroom facilities.
- Has a new playground that is ADA accessible with an aviation theme.
WHAT: Grand Opening for North
WHERE: North Valleys Regional Park, 8085 Silver Lake Road, Stead
WHEN: Saturday, May 17, ribbon-cutting at 10:30 a.m. with Washoe County Commissioners and other dignitaries. The park will be open 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
COST: Free admission and free souvenir beach balls while supplies last.
Stephon's Mobile Bistro Food Truck is also scheduled to be at the park Saturday.
Regular splash park hours/admission:
- May 18 - June 15: weekends only
- June 16 - Aug. 9: open daily
- Aug. 10 - Sept.-1: weekends only
- Hours of operation: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. all season
- Daily admission: $3 per person, per day. Ages 2 & under and seniors (62+) are free.
5 –visit punch pass is available for $13.50 and 10-visit punch pass is available for $24.
- More info: www.washoecounty.us/parks/aquatics