For Immediate Release
Reno, Nevada. July 29, 2014. The Northern Nevada Veterans Resource Center (VRC) provides assistance to hundreds of veterans of any age under a contract with Washoe County. Since the program began earlier this summer, the VRC’s Veterans Services Officers, whose training and certification is sponsored by the Nevada Department of Veterans Services, have helped more than 122 veterans submit applications for benefits.
The Veterans Services Officers help not only with applications, but they are certified to provide counsel and advocacy in VA appeals. They also help veterans throughout the VA eligibility process to guarantee they get the benefits they deserve.
Veterans Services Officers also provide veterans with the most current and comprehensive information on their earned military service benefits. This is done one-on-one, privately and geared to identify any necessary resources that could meet each veteran’s request. These include all possible State and Federal benefits. In some situations, these services are available to eligible dependents and survivors.
In conjunction with Washoe County, the VRC is making Veterans Services Officers available throughout the county. The following are the Veterans Services Officers schedules at Washoe County Senior Centers.
- COLD SPRINGS COMMUNITY CENTER (3355 White Lake Parkway, Reno, NV 89508) Every Thursday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- GERLACH SENIOR CENTER (385 E. Sunset Blvd., Gerlach, NV 89412) Monthly – Day and time to be determined
- NEIL ROAD REC. CENTER (3925 Neil Road, Reno, NV 89502) Every other Tuesday 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Beginning July 29)
- SPARKS SENIOR CENTER (97 Richards Way, Sparks, NV 89431) Weekly – Alternating Monday & Tuesday – 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Beginning Monday, July 28)
- SUN VALLEY COMMUNITY CENTER (115 W. Sixth Ave., Sun Valley, NV 89433) Every other Friday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Beginning August 1)
- WASHOE COUNTY SENIOR CENTER (1155 E. Ninth St., Reno, NV 89512) Every Wednesday 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and the third Tuesday and third Thursday 8 a.m. – noon
The schedules for each site will be posted at the site.
Veterans Services Officers are the first line in obtaining military benefits and are a resource for all questions regarding the transition from service member to citizen.
There are now Veterans Services Officers available at Northern Nevada Veterans Resource Center. They can be contacted by calling (775) 284-VETS.