Steve Calabrese - Division Director
The Washoe County Department of Juvenile Services' mission is to provide a continuum of services and sanctions to juveniles and their families to help create a safer community.
Wittenberg Hall is a secure holding facility for the temporary detention of juvenile offenders. N.R.S. 62B.210 mandates that the facility be "constructed and conducted as nearly like a home as possible." Within this framework, our mission is twofold: 1) Protecting the community by securely housing juveniles that may be or have been involved in activities injurious to the public; and 2) Providing for the safe and secure detention of juveniles detained within the facility.
In addition to serving Washoe County, Wittenberg Hall provides limited contractual services to the Youth Parole Bureau, U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services, and the U.S. Marshal's Office. Contract placements are only accepted when design capacity allows. Hold for other agencies and other Nevada Counties in emergency situations are provided on an individual basis only with approval from the Detention Manager, Division Director, or Director of Juvenile Services.
- To provide for the juvenile's basic needs including shelter, food, clothing, and medical care.
- To protect the rights of juveniles during residence.
- To provide for the educational, physical, emotional, and social needs of detained juveniles.
- To administer programs, rules, discipline, and controls in a firm, fair, and consistent manner.
- To nurture and encourage acceptable behavior.