Vegetative Zones of the Great Basin
|Vegetative zones are not exactly defined, many of the boundaries vary from area to area. Boundaries are usually determined by the elevation and climate. Two major areas exist in the Great Basin, Valley and Montane Zones, each with its own varied subzones within.
- -run from north to south (low to high elevations)
- -are interconnecting and widespread
- -consist of: S. D. Shrub, Salt D. Shrub, Sagebrush, and partially the Pinion-Juniper zones
- -receive more precipitation than the valley zones
- -are mostly coniferous
- -consist of the Coniferous Forest and Subalpine/Alpine Zones
Wilbur D. May Center at
Rancho San Rafael Regional Park
1595 N. Sierra,
Reno, Nevada U.S.A.
(775) 785-5961 Fax (775) 785-4707