Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space.
Washoe County Regional Parks and Open Space.

Sign up for the County's email subscription service

Washoe County Department of Regional Parks and Open Space operates under Washoe County Code Chapter 95 (PDF).
Washoe County Department of Regional Parks and Open Space Administration office is located at 2601 Plumas Street in Reno, 89509. For information, please call (775) 823-6500.
Washoe County Department of Regional Parks and Open Space is always looking for qualified applicants, particularly for seasonal work. Call (775) 823-6500 for information on current openings.
If you see something that needs to be fixed, please contact the Ranger at the facility or call our Maintenance Division at (775) 785-4198. Please inform them of the location and nature of the problem.
The City of Reno Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Department provides all of these services. Please browse the City of Reno Parks, Recreation and Community Services website or call (775) 334-2413.
No. Try the Nevada Division of Forestry Nursery at (775) 849-0213. The May Arboretum and Botanical Gardens does have a plant sale every spring.
Rosewood Lakes is a City of Reno facility while Wildcreek and Northgate are operated by the Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority. For more information from the City of Reno check www.rosewoodlakes.com or call (775) 857-2892. For information for RSCVA golf courses check www.visitrenotahoe.com or call Wildcreek Golf Course at (775) 673-3100 or Northgate Golf Course at (775) 747-7577
The Department encourages the use of its parks for recreational, publicity, and commercial photography. However, any professional photography including portrait sittings or photography/filming for commercials require a Photography Permit issued by the Department of Regional Parks & Open Space. Please contact the Parks Administration office at (775) 823-6500 for fees and permitting requirements.
For a schedule of events at the R.Z. Hawkins Amphitheater, you may call our main office at 823-6500. Also check this website during the summer season under "Events" or "Press Releases" for amphitheater events.
Buildings, gardens, picnic areas and group camping sites may be reserved up to one year prior to the event. Reservation requests for events less than 30 days in advance require approval from the facility manager. Please call (775) 823-6501 for further information.
Choose the facility you wish to rent, decide upon the date and time you need it, and call the Park Operations Office at (775) 823-6501 to check availability, price, and any additional requirements or information necessary.
Washoe County has lifeguards on duty at both County swimming pools. There are opportunities to swim in Washoe County parks that provide access to bodies of water (lakes, streams, rivers, etc.), but NO LIFEGUARDS are posted at these sites unless otherwise noted. All swimming at sites without lifeguards is performed ENTIRELY AT THE SWIMMER`S OWN RISK AND DISCRETION.
In most cases, yes. Call (775) 823-6500 for more information. Pets are required to be on a leash in most areas and are not permitted in some, such as Bowers` Mansion Park and the May Arboretum and turf areas at Rancho San Rafael. Remember to bring bags to help keep your parks clean!
Yes. All Nevada fishing regulations must be followed. Visit the Nevada Division of Wildlife website for all Nevada fishing rules and regulations.
Call Jeff Kangas at (775) 849-1825 for details.
Please DO NOT feed, handle, or approach wildlife in Washoe County parks. THIS IS FOR YOUR SAFETY AND THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF THE WILDLIFE.
There are many species of animals that frequent our facilities. At Rancho San Rafael alone, more than 150 species of birds have been sited, from the tiny hummingbird to the mighty bald eagle. Mammals in the area include squirrels, voles, mice, marmots, raccoons, skunks, muskrats, beaver, rabbits, hares, coyotes, deer, bobcats, bear, mountain lions, and wild horses. Our reptile and amphibian friends include many lizard species, frogs, snakes (including rattlesnakes), and toads. Many of our facilities provide exceptional opportunities to view local wildlife species. Talk to the Ranger of the facility you are interested in to get more specific information. For additional information on wildlife in our area, visit the following websites: Lahonton Chapter, Audubon Society, Nevada Department of Wildlife.
Amplified music is not permitted in Washoe County park picnic areas so as not to disturb other people using the park. An event held inside a Washoe County Parks building facility may have amplified music indoors.
Normally, park users must be out of the park by closing times posted at the facility. However, if you have reserved a building past normal closing hours, the time you must leave will be on your Facility Use Permit.
The County no longer operates Before and After School Programs. The City of Reno, Sparks, YMCA and The Boys and Girls Club operate all Before and After School Programs in the area. Please check with your school to see which agency operates your designated site and contact that agency to register your child.